Due to the Covid-19 outbreak, hackers are now trying to disguise themselves as World Health Organization (WHO); attempting to steal user information through phishing campaigns.
WHO released an information on their website regarding their concern of the existence of these suspicious parties whom are taking advantage by spreading the fake news surrounding the outbreak over social media and been using the opportunity to bait people into giving out their information by acting as legitimate organizations. Phishers are utilizing emails to victims and instruct them to either:
Click a malicious link
Download a malicious file
Redirecting to phishing websites to log username and password.
WHO tried to spread the awareness by warning everyone that WHO will:
- never ask you to login to view safety information
- never email attachments you didn’t ask for
- never ask you to visit a link outside of www.who.int
- never charge money to apply for a job, register for a conference, or reserve a hotel
- never conduct lotteries or offer prizes, grants, certificates or funding through email
- never ask you to donate directly to emergency response plans or funding appeals.